Sunday, September 10, 2006

The Seed That Waited

Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil. The first seed said, "I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earth's crust above me. I want to unfurl my tender buds like banners to announce the arrival of spring. I want to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and the blessing of the morning dew on my petals!"And so she grew.

The second seed said, "I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don't know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me, I may damage my delicate sprouts. What if I let my buds open and a snail tries to eat them? And if I were to open my blossoms, a small child may pull me from the ground. No, it is much better for me to wait until it is safe."And so she waited.

A hen scratching around in the early spring ground for food found the waiting seed and promptly ate it.

If we are bold and adventurous like the first seed, we may indeed encounter the dangers described by the second seed. But then, we would develop stable roots in the ground, and grow tall and mighty. Our lives would be rich and dynamic. Every day would open up fresh horizons for us, and we would taste the marrow of life before death eventually claims it.

If, like the second seed, we are timid, overly-cautious and self-preserving, it may be possible to avert certain disasters. But you only need one chicken to finish you off. Even if that doesn't happen, we would live a life of fear and suspicion. We would remain a seed, incapable of benefiting others with the huge potential for growth that's trapped inside us. And what is a life lived vainly slinking around in the shadows?

Life is unfathomable and complex. One way or the other, we cannot tell what will come to pass. Risk does not increase simply because we choose to take it. It is ever present in the same amount, whether we trudge intrepidly forward or struggle to remain where we are.

So fuel your dreams with the courage to make them real. Allow your fragile heart to love without restraint in order to make it strong. Acknowledge your ignorance so you will continue to learn. And experience the vibrancy of life so that when it ends, you will not be burdened by regret.


Which would you choose to be? The POWER is in you to choose!
Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Resources Blogs - Blog Top Sites Add to Technorati Favorites

Join the Mailing list for Daily Love Quote in Your Email and get a Free copy of "What is Love?" movie. The name and email address collected are not sold, given, or in any way disclosed to a third party. We will never give out your email address.

Name:

Email:

<< Home